Job Description: Role Summary/Purpose:
We are looking for a Senior Data Engineer to provide technical leadership for the development of Big Data applications supporting key business domains. In this role you will be an integral part of an exciting, fast-paced, constantly changing and challenging work environment, and will play an important role in technology solutions at Synchrony.
This position is remote, where you have the option to work from home. On occasion we may request for you to commute to our nearest office for in person engagement activities such as team meetings, training and culture events. To ensure the safety of our colleagues and communities, we require employees who come together in-person to be fully vaccinated. Were proud to offer you choice and flexibility. Essential Responsibilities:
- Understand and manage the data needs of stakeholders in a single business vertical.
- Responsible for the design and implementation of scalable & fault tolerant data applications on Big-Data & Cloud Platforms to store and process terabytes of data from upstream sources with high availability.
- Partner with information architects, platform architects, data scientists and product management on solution requirements to design solutions.
- Resolve problems through in-depth evaluation of business processes, system processes, enterprise standards & procedures.
- Comply with data management standards and procedures
- Responsible for design, development, testing oversight and production implementation using Spark, Hive, Kafka, API, Scala, Python, SQL & AWS.
- Lead the technical team to ensure appropriate data solutions to meet business goals as well as identify and define necessary system and process enhancements.
- Work closely with Product Owners, Product Managers, Program Manager, Scrum Masters and Team Members in a Scaled Agile framework.
- Engage in mid-level business partner engagement; management of relationship and inter-group planning among technology leadership/peers.
- Stay up to date on latest trends in data engineering and recommended best practices.
- Utilize innovative frameworks to avoid redundancy by promoting automation.
- Collaborate with data engineering team members to promote Synchrony values and culture.
- Perform other duties and/or special projects as assigned
- Bachelor's degree and a minimum of 4 years of experience in Technology in the consumer banking industry OR High School Diploma\GED and a minimum of 6 years or experience in Technology OR successful completion of Synchronys Business Leadership Program
- Experience with large scale Big Data environments such as Hortonworks/Cloudera and/or public cloud (AWS preferred).
- Strong experience and deep understanding of ETL, data warehousing, data lake technologies (Hadoop & Spark) and analytics concepts.
- Strong engineering skills in the following technologies: Spark, Hive, Kafka, API, Scala, Python, SQL, AWS
- Experience with batch and real-time data pipelines in a DevOps environment.
- Willing to work in a fast-paced environment with globally located Agile teams working in different shifts.
- Ability to develop and maintain strong collaborative working relationships with Technology and Business Stakeholders.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. Adept and presenting complex topics executing with timely / actionable follow-through.
- Prior work experience in a Credit Card/Banking/FinTech companies.
- Experience dealing with sensitive data in a highly regulated environment.
- Experience with data visualization technologies such as Tableau
- Experience with APIs/Microservices in data-driven applications
- Demonstrated implementation of complex and innovative solutions.
- Articles and publications in the field of data engineering.
- Be the captain of the team, lead by example, motivate, and work together as a team.
- You must be 18 years or older
- You must have a high school diploma or equivalent
- You must be willing to take a drug test, submit to a background investigation and submit fingerprints as part of the onboarding process
- You must be able to satisfy the requirements of Section 19 of the Federal Deposit Insurance Act.
- New hires (Level 4-7) must have 9 months of continuous service with the company before they are eligible to post on other roles. Once this new hire time in position requirement is met, the associate will have a minimum 6 months time in position before they can post for future non-exempt roles. Employees, level 8 or greater, must have at least 24 months time in position before they can post. All internal employees must consistently meet performance expectations and have approval from your manager to post (or the approval of your manager and HR if you dont meet the time in position or performance expectations).
When you join us, youll be part of a diverse, inclusive culture where your skills, experience, and voice are not only heardbut valued. We celebrate the differences in all of us and believe that our individual, unique perspectives is what makes Synchrony truly a great place to work. Together, were building a future where we can all belong, connect and turn ideals into action. Through the power of our 8 Diversity Networks+ () , with more than 60% of our workforce engaged, youll find community to connect with and opportunity to go beyond your passions.
This starts when you choose to apply for a role at Synchrony. We ensure all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status. Reasonable Accommodation Notice:
- Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
- If you need special accommodations, please call our Career Support Line so that we can discuss your specific situation. We can be reached at 1-. Representatives are available from 8am 5pm Monday to Friday, Central Standard Time.
The salary range for this position is 65,,000.00
Hot Skills Job
Salaries are adjusted according to market in CA and Metro NY and some positions are bonus eligible. Grade/Level: 10
Job Family Group: