The BESS Design Engineer will be responsible for the battery energy analysis along with review and revision of commercial and utility plan sets for Battery Storage (BESS) system installations and site survey sketches. Plan sets include electrical layouts, one-lines, BOM's, schematics, structural details, and equipment specifications. They will work closely with customers and other engineering and design team members and contractors to coordinate the overall design packages and requirements. The designs will then transition into the field ensuring successful construction and energization of the project.
This position will require both office and field time with the ability to work remotely.
Founded in 1990, CSI has emerged as a leader in highly technical and innovative electrical design and construction. We are a full-service firm with the resources and expertise to handle any commercial, industrial, or one-of-a-kind challenge. We are a trusted contractor to diverse industries, such as aerospace, biotech/pharmaceutical, education, healthcare, entertainment, hospitality, manufacturing, and retail, to name a few. Our services also include energy solutions and have earned a reputation as a premier provider of energy development, installation, and maintenance. In July 2019, CSI proudly joined the MYR Group family expanding our commercial and industrial reach. We're proud to celebrate 31 years of commitment to do all things with excellence for our customers, ourselves, and our craft. We Build Better.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The analysis of battery energy storage projects involves working across a range of responsibilities, including:
- System sizing & layout
- Understanding use-case, development & application
- RTE calculations
- Economic studies
- Application of modeling techniques
- Independent engineering report writing
- Scenario evaluations
- Recommendation of battery modules and PCS technologies
- Plant design package reviews
- Reviews of commercial agreements including Power Purchase Agreement (PPA), Interconnection Agreements, Service Contracts, Facility Studies
This includes, but is not limited to the following:
- Work alongside the Business Development, Estimating, and Engineering teams to create preliminary site layouts and single line drawings (DC and AC) for project proposals.
- Provides engineering support for proposals, estimating, procurement and construction.
- Provides technical support to personnel/cross functional teams supporting the assigned project by performing basic level engineering tasks, calculations, data analysis, and studies as needed to develop preliminary detailed scopes of work on large and small projects.
- Assess BESS technologies and expected use case of the proposed BESS projects to optimize the BESS system design with the optimal technology, augmentation, and asset mix.
- Estimation of plant losses, perform economic studies and recommend battery & PCS selections.
- Assist with design and optimization of BESS stand alone and BESS/PV systems to meet project requirements, minimize cost and propose value.
- Demonstrate familiarity with various equipment (batteries, inverters, converters, combiners, etc.) and technologies used in proper design and installation of BESS projects.
- Review and approve equipment vendor drawings on major equipment from manufacturers.
- Conducts project detailed design and QA/QC reviews for completeness and accuracy of internal and external design documents that align with our customer requirements and CSI's best practice standards.
- Perform site visits as needed to verify that construction is in agreement with engineering design drawings, including preparatory meetings, and QA/QC.
- Assure proper documentation of technical data generated for the assigned projects and/or tasks are consistent with engineering best practices and policies.
- Works independently with direction from SCADA, BESS & Integration Manager.
- Coordinate with other engineering disciplines, Project Managers, Directors and Operations personnel to successfully deliver design projects.
- Create and update database of design records for future reference.
- Attend mandatory training sessions on new products, installation methodology, and safety.
- Initiates and maintains contacts with key engineers in other companies, suppliers and industry associations to maintain their technical expertise.
- Possess a minimum of 2 to 4 years of related work experience (Can be a combination of trade & relevant work experience).
- Preferred graduate of four-year college or university with Bachelor of Science in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering or related Engineering program. Strongly preferred the degree is from a school of engineering with at least one curriculum accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) as a professional engineering curriculum.
- Experience in utility-scale BESS & BESS/PV projects, highly preferred.
- Basic level of understanding of discipline specific technical designs, engineering principles, business standards, practices, procedures, and product / program requirements.
- Experienced in the practice of researching engineering and design issues, evaluating alternatives, making sound recommendations, and preparing and presenting recommendations.
- Ability to apply engineering theories and principles to review and evaluate design drawings to determine if the design meets the contractual requirements, construction best practices and budget.
- Has a firm understanding of the principles of Project Management.
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite of products, AutoCAD 2D, BlueBeam, CymCap, ETAP, PVSol, and other web-based software applications.
- Proactive attitude, showing initiative and the ability to work independently as well as with a team.
- Strong reasoning ability and capacity to improve efficiencies and communication.
- Strong analytical problem-solving skills.
- Positive attitude, showing customer focus and the initiative and ability to work independently.
- Ability to prioritize, multitask, and follow through on assigned tasks and projects with minimal supervision.
- Strong organizational and communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Ability to work in a fast-moving environment while maintaining a positive attitude in stressful situations and adapt to changing job requirements..
- Works in a climate-controlled environment at least 50% of the time.
- When in the field, may work in varying weather conditions: hot, cold, and wet conditions.
- When in the field, will work in areas with large industrial equipment subject to high noise levels.
- May occasionally work in areas with hazardous chemicals.
- Amazing Company Culture - We have a culture of trust, teamwork, performance, and commitment that drives our success.
- Competitive Salaries - We pride ourselves in offering above industry average salaries based on talent and experience.
- 401K Matching & Profit Sharing - We believe good work should be rewarded and provide 401k matching and profit sharing.
- Awesome Health, Dental, & Vision Insurance - We provide a wide variety of insurance options to meet you and your family's needs.
Position may be subject to pre-employment screening, which may include background check and drug testing. Accessibility: If you need an accommodation as part of the employment process, contact our Employment Hotline at 1-855-635-1321.
MYR Group, Inc. and our subsidiaries are proud to be Equal Opportunity Employers. We promote diversity of thought, culture, and background, which connects our family of brands. We are committed to a work environment that supports, inspires, and respects all individuals and in which personnel processes are merit-based and applied without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, disability, national or ethnic origin, military service status, or other protected characteristics. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
MYR Group does not sponsor applicants for work visas. Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States for any employer.
MYR Group and our subsidiaries do not work with any third-party recruiters or agencies without a valid signed agreement. All communication regarding candidates, submissions, and job openings must be done with through the corporate Talent Acquisition team only. Any violation of these terms may disqualify new agreements or terminate any existing agreement with MYR Group, Inc.