External Communications Specialist
The success of General RV Center is rooted in our exceptional team, which has been growing since 1962. Our sustained growth has been fueled by our family values and passion for the RV lifestyle. Today, General RV Center stands as the Nation's Largest Family-Owned RV Dealer, with locations nationwide and a global presence through our Internet Sales team.
What's in it for you? When you join our team, you become part of the General RV family. It's more than a job - it's the opportunity to build a career, make a difference, and be part of an exciting industry. If you're looking for a place to call home, we want to hear from you!
The External Communications Specialist is a skilled storyteller who conveys the General RV narrative through engaging messaging that promotes the General RV brand and dealerships. This individual will conduct public relations outreach, media monitoring, and reporting. In addition, the External Communications Specialist will assist with external message development, mining for both customer and employee stories that illustrate the Vision, Mission, and Values of General RV. The External Communications Specialist will also assist the Communications Manager with crisis communications, industry research, and other writing assignments as needed.
- Demonstrate strong business analysis and communication skills - capturing and documenting information and crafting it into interesting stories for external audiences.
- Conducting public relations outreach, including identifying local and national pitch angles. Building contact lists of media outlets and establishing relationships with reporters to gain earned media mentions.
- Manage media monitoring, tracking, and reporting process.
- Writing press releases for distribution to media outlets and tailored pitches for reporters. Creating talking points for General RV representatives to use during interviews.
- Researching, writing, and editing customer and employee stories that can be shared externally.
- Developing targeted messages for each customer persona and stage of the customer journey with assistance from the Communications Manager.
- Supporting the Communications Manager with crisis communications, industry research, and other writing duties as needed.
- BA/BS from a 4-year accredited university
- 2+ years of writing experience in public relations, marketing, or journalism
- Experience developing and managing public relations for a B2C company preferred
- Must be capable of writing in AP style
- Experience representing a brand to external audiences
- Proven ability to develop communications that resonate with audiences
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; exceptional interpersonal skills
- Ability and willingness to work collaboratively in a team environment and be responsive to the needs of a diverse community of stakeholders
- Strong storyteller who can speak to various, diverse audiences
- Quick and creative thinker with demonstrated success in transforming broad ideas from a team brainstorm into clear, engaging, original campaign concepts (show us your writing portfolio!)
- Highly organized individual who can manage multiple projects simultaneously and meet competing deadlines
- Demonstrated experience executing public relations plans and managing tasks across multiple projects and work streams
- Proven success in media outreach to local and national publications, short-lead consumer media, and national broadcast media
- Experience in developing and editing high quality written materials, including media correspondence and story angles; and strong presentation skills
General RV offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance options, paid vacations and a 401k with company matching.
WHO IS GENERAL RV CENTER?
General RV Center and its family of companies, which includes America's Choice Insurance Partners and Salem Distributors, is a large multi-state employer founded in 1962 in the heart of the Motor City. General RV started as a small mom and pop' operation and has grown into the Nation's Largest Family-Owned RV Dealer, with over 1,500 loyal associates. We have Supercenters in 7 states, with 14 locations in Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Illinois, Florida, Utah and Virginia.