Working under moderate supervision, the Research Assistant 1 will perform research work in medial and related technical areas for the Cancer Center Hematopoietic Biorepository and Cellular Therapy core facility. Work includes facilitating and processing blood samples for bio-banking, maintaining equipment according to manufacturer's specifications, and supporting general clinical lab operations
- Prepare and annotate blood samples with clinical data. Maintain biorepository samples inventory according to HIPAA laws. (25%)
- Maintain lab supply and reagent inventory and place orders accordingly using the university procurement system. Ensure calibration of equipment used for processing cells for clinical use. (25%)
- Analyze clinical information to distribute samples to investigators based on specific parameters. (10%)
- Assist senior lab members on research projects by performing research work in cell culture and cellular therapy. (20%)
- Maintain records of patients' samples using the UH Clinical Laboratory data systems. Maintain documents in compliance of the protection of human subjects and good manufacturing practices. (10%)
- Maintain laboratory equipment and other laboratory functions to comply with FDA standards. (5%)
- Facilitate a normal volunteer pool for blood and bone marrow donations. (4%)
- Perform other duties as assigned. (1%)
Department: Daily contact with Cellular Therapy Core Director, Operations Director and senior lab member to report progress on activities and to review goals.
University: Occasional contact with Cancer Center administration for ordering and Human Resources related issues.
External: Continuous contact with Seidman Cancer Center cellular therapy lab staff to receive patient cells. Occasional contact with research nurses and other clinicians to coordinate sample collection from patients and normal volunteers. Occasional contact with suppliers of lab goods for procurement and qualification of supplies and normal volunteers for procurement of specimens.
Students: Little or no contact with undergraduate and high school students to demonstrate lab techniques
This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities.
Education and Experience: Bachelor of Science degree and 0 to 1 year of related experience or Associate's degree in an approved biotechnology program and 0 to 2 years of experience. The employee is expected to obtain protection of human subjects training within three months of hire.
- Knowledge and understanding of commonly-used concepts, practices, and procedures within the field of cell culture and cellular therapy.
- Ability to perform maintenance of general lab equipment, handling of blood products, aseptic technique, and laboratory math.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and interpersonal skills. Ability to interact with colleagues, supervisors, and customers face to face.
- Good/Strong organizational skills; ability to multi-task, prioritize and meet deadlines. Must demonstrate attention to detail and accuracy, time management skills, and follow-through.
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to maintain effective working relationships and address the potential and current needs of clinical demands
- Ability to work effectively, independently, and collaboratively within a team.
- Ability to work with sensitive information and maintain confidentiality.
- Must demonstrate flexibility and ability to work under pressure; must be able and willing to conform to shifting priorities, demands and timeline.
- Willingness and ability to rely on and follow instructions and pre-established guidelines to perform the functions of the job.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and database management.
- Must demonstrate willingness to learn new techniques, procedures, processes, and computer programs as needed.
- Ability to meet consistent attendance.
Typical laboratory environment that supports clinical research in the Wolstein Research Laboratory. The employee will be expected to be flexible to accommodate patient samples, including occasional overtime. Some heavy lifting of supplies (up to 25 lbs.) is required. This position may have exposure to blood borne pathogens due to blood handling requirement. This position is not eligible for the staff hybrid work program.