Join a team of more than 25,000 team members, comprised of our home office and over 215 clubs and 3 distribution centers in 17 states. We're committed to delivering value and convenience to our Members, helping them save every day on everything they need for their family and home. BJ's Wholesale Club offers a collaborative, team-oriented environment where all team members can learn, grow and excel.
Responsible for performing all of the duties required of a dispensing optician, in addition to managerial duties. This position is responsible for managing, teaching, and coaching the optical team members, interacting with Members, confirming appointments, reviewing insurance information and department upkeep. The Optical Manager serves as the liaison between our Members and the lab to ensure that orders are processed timely.
- Know their business/business acumen. Exhibit strategic thinking and sound decision-making thorough knowledge and utilization of business data.
- Lead through change. Model leadership competencies, build credibility and act as a champion for business growth.
- Communicate effectively. Provide the information teams require to be successful.
- Build high performing teams by creating a culture of collaboration. Provide honest and timely direction, follow up and feedback that will drive business results and support team member engagement.
- Deliver results. Execute business expectations within expected timeframes by setting clear expectations, utilizing follow up and accountability.
- Teach, coach and lead through the club level training process. Support team member engagement within all areas of responsibility to enable the application of policies, procedures and compliance.
- Drive a culture of development, strategic thinking and acting, ethical decision making and engagement. Lead with the team member and member in mind to address any and all concerns and to escalate any concerns, as appropriate.
- Ensure a safe and positive environment and experience for the team members.
- Embrace inclusion and diversity, by working together with collaboration and respect. Acknowledge team member success, work as a team to achieve goals, identify and retain top talent.
- Guarantee service excellence through all points of contact.
- Set service standard expectations for all team members. Provide team support and empowerment to resolve every member concern.
- Ensure a safe and positive environment and experience for the members.
- Daily commitment to GOLD Member Standards
- Greet, Anticipate, Appreciate (GAA)
- Fast, Friendly Full, Fresh, Clean
Club Standards: Lead teams to deliver GOLD club standards daily.
- Define and model GOLD- Grand opening look daily
- All items stocked and promotional plans executed
- Maintain visible accurate signage
- Clean and organized, inside and out
- Perishable areas stocked and rotated with cold chain maintained
Know Your Business:
- Acquire a deep knowledge of key metrics and reporting for total club and department performance
- Drive performance and profitability by using reporting to identify trends and areas of opportunity
- Have the foresight to see a breakdown in process and correct it before it negatively impacts club performance metrics
- Communicate a simple message to your team on the connection between consistent operational performance and achieving club financial targets
Major Tasks, Responsibilities, and Key Accountabilities
- Provides a high level of Member service, including answering all incoming calls, scheduling patients for doctor's appointments, being open and honest in communication and maintaining a friendly, pleasant demeanor with Members at all time.
- Provides support to Members in: making eyeglass adjustments, taking measurements, reading prescriptions on the lensometer, timely notification of product readiness, proper handling of all money related transaction, and completing paperwork necessary to place and process orders.
- Manages Optical department team members and ensures all team members diligently engage in person and over the phone with Members.
- Processes and verifies all third-party insurance payment information.
- This position will have access to patient information therefore a high degree of discretion and adhering to all privacy and confidential/propriety company policies and procedures is required (i.e. Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, known as HIPAA).
- Manages all sales opening and closing procedures at the end of the shift. Must ensure that accurate funds are collected, and payments are made at the point of service.
- Communicates and follows up with General Manager and Regional Director, Operations regarding department performance, maintenance situations, team member's performance, and doctor relations.
- Ensure work station/Optical department is maintained and clean at all times.
- Supervises all team members in the Optical department and is responsible for training, separations, recommendation for promotions, and coaching.
- Maintains all club policies and procedures.
- Performs other duties as assigned, including working in other departments as needed.
- Regular, predictable, full attendance is an essential function of this job.
- Must be licensed to work as an optician within the State and keep license up to date and active.
- Knowledge of optical products and business practices preferred.
- High school diploma, college degree, and/or big box wholesale, retail, optical, and/or management experience is preferred.
- Demonstrated leadership capabilities, including managing/supervising cross-functional teams, training team members, and driving and communicating results.
- Strong interpersonal skills, customer service skills, organizational skills and an attention to detail required.
- Open shift availability required.
- At least 18 years of age.
Environmental Job Conditions
- Most of the time is spent moving about frequently on hard surfaces. There may be a need to occasionally position oneself to examine or scan merchandise, including bending, handling, pulling, reaching, and/or stooping.
- Frequently requires lifting objects up to 20 pounds. May require lifting and moving heavy and/or awkward objects more than 20 pounds with assistance.
- Located in a comfortable indoor area with frequent exposure to temperature extremes and loud noises. There may be occasional exposure to cleaning agents.