Apply Now () Apply Later
Nurse Manager-Med/Surg/Tele (40hr, Days)
Department Description:The Derenzo Patient Care Unit is a general medical/surgical/telemetry unit. Patients are admitted to the Derenzo Patient Care Unit from the ED, PACU, physicians offices, and infrequently directly from their residence. The patient population on the Derenzo Patient Care Unit is diverse and consists of patients who have medical diagnoses or have undergone abdominal, orthopedic, plastic, and urological surgeries, to name a few. The hospital is a state of growth and will be expanding our medical surgical unit.
Job Location:Needham, Massachusetts
Job Summary:The nurse manager provides 24-hour operational accountability for his/her unit(s). Collaborates with the Director of Inpatient Services, to develop and oversee the implementation and evaluation of programs and processes to provide necessary patient care services using appropriate resources. Inherent in the role is active involvement and leadership in quality improvement activities to enhance patient care and improve service. Additionally, the Nurse Manager participates in the development of and implementation of care and performance standards to ensure that identified patient care needs and regulatory requirements are met and/or exceeded. Optimal patient care and cost effective management is maintained through utilization of data and information from quality assessment and standards monitoring. Supports and contributes to ongoing changes within the organization. The Nurse Manager is a role model for service excellence, nursing job satisfaction and empowerment.
- Is accountable for the care of patients, the practice of nursing, interdisciplinary collaboration and department/unit based operations.
- Develops creative approaches to department/unit operations and staff development and encourages others to do the same.
- Ensures that supplies, equipment and appropriate resources are available for optimal patient care.
- Represents the discipline of nursing and her/his individual unit at the hospital-wide committees and initiatives.
- Uses good judgment around decision making and follows through until results are achieved.
- Articulates and embodies the mission, values and goals of the institution for staff and patients.
- Knowledgeable, approachable, respectful and flexible and demonstrates interest in the uniqueness of individuals.
- Represents organizational leadership and the goals of the organization in all communication with staff.
- Able to interview and hire staff based on human resource policies, appropriate experience, organizational fit, educational credentials, availability and flexibility in relation to job requirement. Is able to assess candidate's service excellence skills.
- Works with the Director to prepare the annual operating budget including salaries and wages, supplies and expenses, along with capital requests, within the timeframe allotted; ensures budget compliance and where applicable provides variance explanations.
- Has the authority to direct and support employees daily work activities. Has authority to undertake or recommend the following employment actions: hiring, termination, corrective action and performance reviews. Direct Reports: 2-3 Indirect Reports: More than 100
- Assists in planning, monitoring and/or managing budget in functional area of department.
- Bachelor's degree in Nursing required. Master's degree in Nursing preferred.
- License Registered Nurse required., Registration Basic Life Support and ACLS required.
- 3-5 years related work experience required in medical, surgical, or a procedural unit in an acute care setting within nursing with demonstrated ability to effective build and lead a team. and 0-1 years supervisory/management experience required
- Advanced interpersonal and conflict resolution skills to deal with critical patient and personnel issues in a changing organizational climate.
- Analytical ability to solve clinical issues and conduct, or participate in, quality improvement, research and utilization activities.
Demonstrated ability to manage unit in a fiscally responsible manner.
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- 3-5 years of recent charge nurse preferred.
- Decision Making:Ability to make decisions that are guided by precedents, policies and objectives. Regularly makes decisions and recommendations on issues affecting a department or functional area.
- Problem Solving:Ability to address problems that are highly varied, complex and often non-recurring, requiring staff input, innovative, creative, and Lean diagnostic techniques to resolve issues.
- Independence of Action:Ability to set direction and vision for major departments or multiple departments. Establishes priorities, develops policies and allocates resources.
- Written Communications:Ability to communicate complex information in English effectively in writing to all levels of staff, management and external customers across functional areas.
- Oral Communications:Ability to verbally communicate complex concepts in English and address sensitive situations, resolve conflicts, negotiate, motivate and persuade others.
- Knowledge:Ability to demonstrate broad and comprehensive knowledge of theories, concepts, practices and policies with the ability to use them in complex and/or unprecedented situations across multiple functional areas.
- Team Work:Ability to lead collaborative teams for larger projects or groups both internal and external to the Medical Center and across functional areas. Results have implications for the management and operations of multiple areas of the organization.
- Customer Service:Ability to provide a high level of customer service and staff training to meet customer service standards and expectations for the assigned unit(s). Resolves service issues in the assigned unit(s) in a timely and respectful manner.
Age based Competencies:
Employees in this job must be competent to provide patient care to the following age groups: Youth: 6 months to 16 years, Young adult: 16-30 years, Middle Age: 30 - 60 years, Elderly: 60 -.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Medium work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and or up to 20 pounds of force frequently. Job is physical in nature and employee needs to stand and/or move around through the majority of their shift.
BIDMC is EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATION
As a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. BILH requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment.