Position Purpose : Responsible for the 24 hour coordination and management of resident care activities, unit operations, and nursing personnel on a designated nursing unit and shift.
Educational Requirements : Graduation from an accredited RN program required.
Experience Required : Three years of experience with one year of long term or sub-acute care experience required. One year of supervisory experience preferred.
Professional Licensure and Certification Required : Current New York State RN. Responsible for annual re-licensure per regulations. Compliance with yearly CEU requirements. Current CPR, Accucheck and IV Therapy certification.
Interpersonal Relationships : Communicates effectively with residents, families, visitors, co-workers, physicians, and other employees.
- Coordinates the administration and clinical activities for the nursing department on a designated shift or unit in accordance with current regulations that govern long term care facilities.
- Serves as the resource to staff in clinical and managerial decision making, delegates responsibilities to staff.
- Participates in inspections (surveys) made by authorized agencies.
- Participates in and assures appropriate assessment of residents, validates nursing staffs clinical decisions.
- Participates in the development, implementation, and communication of residents plan of care.
- Making frequent rounds on nursing unit(s) to ensure that all personnel are performing their work assignments in accordance with established nursing standards, and that all residents needs are being met
- Monitors documentation procedures of nursing staff. Follows- up on problem areas with employees and makes oral/written reports to the Director of Nursing
- Any other duties deemed necessary by the Director of Nurses
- Follows work assignments, and schedules to complete assigned tasks.
- Performs all assigned tasks in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Cooperates with interdepartmental personnel, as well as other departments within the facility to assure that services are properly maintained to meet the needs of the residents.
- Adheres to the rules of attendance as outlined and received on orientation
- Recognizes the needs and works to facilitate appropriate assignment of staff within the frame work of established staffing patterns.
- Meets with staff on regularly scheduled basis to assist in identifying and correcting problem areas, and/ or improvement services.
- Functions in the role of staff nurse or provides direct care to meet the needs of the residents as needed/ required.
- Ensures that disciplinary action is administered fairly and without regard to race, color, creed, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, or marital status.
Staff Development Functions
- Attends departmental meetings as scheduled to assist in identifying and correcting problem areas, and/ or improvement of services
- Participates in the orientation of new staff members to the facility and ensures that appropriate education and mentoring is in place.
- Attends and participates in the scheduled training and educational classes.
- Attends and completes all mandatory in-service programs.
Safety and Infection Control
- Follows established protocol during fire drills and disaster training.
- Follows established universal precautions and infection control policies and procedures when performing daily tasks.
- Ensures that staff follow established safety regulations and infection control practices in caring for residents, in their own personal safety, and in use of equipment and supplies.
- Ensures that all work and resident care areas are maintained in a clean, safe, and sanitary manner.
- Maintains confidentiality of all pertinent resident care information.
- Knowledge of facility and state mandatory reporting practices regarding any suspected cases of abuse, mistreatment, or neglect
- Report all grievances/ complaints made by the resident to your supervisor immediately.
- Ensures that all residents are treated fairly with kindness, dignity, and respect.
- Monitors nursing care to ensure that all residents are treated fairly and with kindness, dignity and respect
- Review complaints and grievances made by the resident or responsible party and submit an oral/ written report to the Director of Nursing.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice. All pay rates and bonuses are paid and/ or awarded to employees based on the facilities policy and/ or the CBA, depending on the position.