Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children's Hospital of Chicago provides superior pediatric care in a setting that offers the latest benefits and innovations in medical technology, research and family-friendly design. As the largest pediatric provider in the region with a 140-year legacy of excellence, kids and their families are at the center of all we do. Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children's Hospital of Chicago is ranked in all 10 specialties by the U.S. News & World Report.Location
680 Lake Shore Drive
Conducts retrospective audit of ambulatory and inpatient physician documentation to ensure billing accuracy and compliance. Accounts for concurrent inpatient billing accuracy and compliance for selected Divisions. Provides physician education on coding and documentation guidelines.Job Description
Essential Job Functions:
- Reviews and audits physicians' documentation in the medical record and the level of CPT code selection to verify accuracy through a concurrent coding program.
- Determines visit, procedure and diagnosis code(s) based on documentation.
- Initiates corrections and resolves discrepancies.
- Confers with the physicians to communicate and educate when deficiencies in documentation and code selection are identified.
- Meets with Division Heads and Clinical Practice Directors or designees to present statistical data on audit findings, provides useful recommendations and documentation tools.
- Keeps informed on coding and documentation guidelines.
- Performs monthly reconciliation between concurrent charges sent and entered.
- Ensures that all concurrent charges and necessary information are submitted to the billing service in a timely manner.
- Resolves all questions and problems with patients, third party payers, billing coordinators and coding and billing analysts and external billing services.
- Performs job functions adhering to service principles with customer service focus of innovation, service excellence and teamwork to provide the highest quality care and service to our patients, families, co-workers and others.
- Other job functions as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Certification in one of the following: Certified as Professional Coder (CPC), Certified Coding Specialist - Physician (CCS-P), or Certified Professional Medical Auditor (CPMA) required.
- High school diploma required.
- Minimum of three years of coding experience required.
- Prior experience in Evaluation and Management Coding preferred.
- Demonstrates thorough knowledge of CPT and ICD-9 coding by passing a test.
- Demonstrates thorough knowledge of Evaluation and Management (E/M) by passing a proficiency test; required.
- Ability to use computer software (i.e.: EPIC, WORD, EXCEL and PowerPoint).
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of medical terminology, anatomy and physiology and coding classification systems in determining appropriate physician coding.
- Ability to communicate effectively, work independently and balance multiple priorities.
High School Diploma/GED (Required)Benefit StatementFor full time and part time employees who work 20 or more hours per week we offer a generous benefits package that includes:
Medical, dental and vision insurance
Employer paid group term life and disability
Employer contribution toward Health Savings Account
Flexible Spending Accounts
Paid Time Off (PTO), Paid Holidays and Paid Parental Leave
403(b) with a 5% employer match
Various voluntary benefits:
- Supplemental Life, AD&D and Disability
- Critical Illness, Accident and Hospital Indemnity coverage
- Tuition assistance
- Student loan servicing and support
- Adoption benefits
- Backup Childcare and Eldercare
- Employee Assistance Program, and other specialized behavioral health services and resources for employees and family members
- Discount on services at Lurie Children's facilities
- Discount purchasing program
Lurie Children's and its affiliates are equal employment opportunity employers. We value diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, pregnancy, protected veteran status, order of protection status, protected genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.