GRAIL is a healthcare company whose mission is to detect cancer early, when it can be cured. GRAIL is focused on alleviating the global burden of cancer by developing pioneering technology to detect and identify multiple deadly cancer types early. The company is using the power of next-generation sequencing, population-scale clinical studies, and state-of-the-art computer science and data science to enhance the scientific understanding of cancer biology, and to develop its multi-cancer early detection blood test. GRAIL is headquartered in Menlo Park, CA with locations in Washington, D.C., North Carolina, and the United Kingdom. GRAIL, LLC is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Illumina, Inc. (NASDAQ:ILMN). For more information, please visit .
GRAIL is seeking an Engineer in Technical Operations in our Menlo Park facility. The ideal candidate is a team player with hands-on experience developing and implementing validation plans for laboratory and/or manufacturing equipment and a willingness to lead and teach others. The candidate will be encouraged to think outside of the box and creatively solve problems related to the management and execution of NGS-based workflows. They will work collaboratively across many organizational functions and execute experiments both individually and as a team. The candidate will be instrumental in implementing process improvements, developing documentation, and carrying out verification and support functions for operations within GRAIL laboratories.You will:
Your background and qualifications will include:
- Independently design, conduct and analyze data from experiments to support several automated NGS-based assays.
- Lead or contribute to project teams in validation and workflow creation across operational functions and workflows
- Contribute expertise and knowledge to process/product improvement and optimization projects
- Review performance data and specifications related to instrumentation, equipment, and consumables used in the execution of Grail s commercial assay(s)
- Plan and record studies and investigations performed and recorded in line with regulatory requirements (CAP/CLIA/FDA)
- Act and present as the Technical Operations SME for equipment, equipment performance specifications, and processes related to current execution of assays executed by the Lab Operations team
- Minimum of B.Sc./M.S. in BioEngineering, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, or a related field with 5+ years of related experience. Job Title/Level will be based on education and experience
- Experience working in project teams
- Effective written and verbal communication skills (fluency in English) as well as strong interpersonal, negotiation, and influencing skills
- Technical leadership, self-direction, and willingness to both teach others and learn new techniques is highly desirable
- Working knowledge and expertise in manufacturing or automation of clinical diagnostics, medical devices, or equivalent
- Experience working in a regulated environment under CAP/CLIA and/or FDA, including documentation, change management/control, and non-conformance programs
- Good planning, prioritization, problem-solving, and organizational skills
- General digital literacy
- Data analysis using tools such as JMP, or proficiency with R or Python
- 5+ years of experience in development or support of Next Generation Sequencing assays and workflows preferred
- Experience with Automated sample preparation or NGS workflows is a preferred
- Experience troubleshooting NGS processes is a plus
- Supervisory/mentoring experience is a plus
- Proficiency in GSuite is a plus
GRAIL is an Equal Employment Office and Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status. We will reasonably accommodate all individuals with disabilities so that they can participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Following extensive monitoring, research, consideration of business implications, and advice from internal and external experts, GRAIL has made the decision to require all U.S. employees receive the COVID-19 vaccines as a condition of employment. "Full vaccination" is defined as two weeks after both doses of a two-dose vaccine or two weeks since a single-dose vaccine has been administered. Anyone unable to be vaccinated, either because of a sincerely held religious belief or a medical condition or disability that prevents them from being vaccinated, can request a reasonable accommodation.